Fr. Barron was born on November 19th 1959 in Chicago. In 1974 he was enlightened by the arguments of St. Thomas Aquinas when his teachings were presented to him by a young Dominican friar. He was a freshman in high school. He recalled the experience saying, “I’m not quite sure why this should have been the case, but that lecture lit a fire in me. I became convinced of the reality of God in a way that I hadn’t been before, and I wanted to learn more and more about philosophy and theology.”
Since then he was ordained in 1986, he received his M.A. in Philosophy at Catholic University of America, he received his S.T.L at the University of St. Mary of the Lake, his and S.T.D. at the Institut Catholique de Paris. He is also fluent in French, Spanish, German, and Latin.
As of May 11th 2012 Father Robert Barron has been appointed Rector-President of Mundelein Seminary/University of St. Mary of the Lake. It’s a beautiful campus with top notch professors, some of the best in the nation. Fr. Barron is focusing on making Mundelein the cornerstone of the new evangelization movement within the Church.
In 2000 Fr. Barron launched “Word on Fire Catholic Ministries”, a non-profit organization, that supports his evangelistic endeavors. Word on Fire programs, featuring Fr. Barron, have been broadcast regularly on WGN America, EWTN, Relevant Radio and the Word on Fire YouTube Channel. Fr. Barron’s Word on Fire website offers daily blogs, articles, commentaries and over ten years of weekly sermon podcasts.
Fr. Barron lectures extensively in the United States and abroad and he has published numerous books, essays and DVD programs. He is a frequent commentator on faith and culture for The Chicago Tribune, NBC Nightly News, Fox News Channel, Our Sunday Visitor, The Catholic Herald in London and The Catholic New World. His lectures have also been featured in multiple titles distributed through Lighthouse Catholic Media.
He has written several books
- Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
- Eucharist (Catholic Spirituality for Adults)
- Word on Fire: Proclaiming the Power of Christ
- Priority of Christ, The: Toward a Postliberal Catholicism
- Bridging the Great Divide : Musings of a Post-Liberal, Post Conservative Evangelical Catholic
- The Strangest Way: Walking the Christian Path
- Heaven in Stone and Glass: Experiencing the Spirituality of the Great Cathedrals
- And Now I See . . .: A Theology of Transformation
- Thomas Aquinas: Spiritual Master (Crossroad Spiritual Legacy Series)
- A Study of the De Potentia of Thomas Aquinas in Light of the Dogmatik of Paul Tillich: Creation As Discipleship
And has made several DVD’s
Fr. Robert Barron is also well known for his Catholicism DVD series where he has journeyed to 16 countries to film a ten part series about the story of the Catholic Church known as “The Catholicism Project”
Category: Holy Americans Today